Announcement on International Collection of Conceptual Proposal and In-depth Design for the Plot on the West Side of the Entrance to Zhejiang Xinchang Great Buddha Temple Scenic Area
I. Organizer and agency
Organizer: Xinchang County Tourism Group Co., Ltd.
Agency: Zhejiang Chengtao Tendering Agent Co., Ltd.
II. Project background
Xinchang has a long history, diverse cultures and a rich collection of cultural heritages. With two thousand years of Buddhism, Taoism and tea culture and a thousand years of Confucian culture, it is known as the “journey of Buddhism” and the “origin of tea ceremony”. Since the Wei and Jin Dynasties, Xinchang has become the essence on the Road of Tang Poetry in Eastern Zhejiang, and has the reputation of “a city of mountains, rivers and poetries”. Tianmu Mountain is located in Xinchang, which is the cradle of Chinese landscape poetry and painting. In 2019, Xinchang County was honored as the "Most Beautiful Cultural Tourism County in China" by the Federation Internationale du Tourisme.
Known as the “Southeastern Buddhist Kingdom”, Xinchang has a long history of Buddhist culture and is praised as the “birthplace of Chinese Buddhism" by experts, scholars and Buddhists. The Great Buddha Temple Scenic Area is the core scenic area and national geological park of the Tianmu Mountain Scenic Area. It is also a large-scale, multi-functional, and comprehensive national 4A tourist attraction which integrates sightseeing, pilgrimage, geological science popularization, folk experience, as well as meditation and relaxation. This project aims to create a nationally renowned leisure tourist destination and a famous holy place of blessing in China.
III. Project overview
1. Project name: Conceptual Proposal and In-depth Design for the Plot on the West Side of the Entrance to Zhejiang Xinchang Great Buddha Temple Scenic Area
2. Election method: Public collection
3. Scope of design
3.1 Scope of research: The analysis and research scope of this project covers the related and radiating areas of the Great Buddha Temple Scenic Area and its surrounding areas, including but not limited to Gushan Park and the old town. The scope of research can be determined by applicants themselves by taking into account the landscape cultural axis of “Nanmingshan-Gushan-Dushan” and other factors.
Scope of research
3.2 Planning scope: The planning scope of this project includes the current Great Buddha Temple Scenic Area as well as the plot on west side of the entrance to Great Buddha Temple Scenic Area (hereinafter referred to as the Key Plot), with a planning area of about 2.9 square kilometers.
Planning scope map
The design scope of the Key Plot on the west side of the entrance to Great Buddha Temple Scenic Area extends from Guiyuan Second Road in the west, to Renmin West Road in the north, to the east of the Dafocheng Square in the east, and to the Chating Community in the south, with a land area of approximately 5.05 hectares (75.75 mu).
Design scope map of the Key Plot
4. Requirements for planning content and design depth: These requirements include to conduct research on the entire Great Buddha Temple Scenic Area within the planning scope, and propose resource reorganization and development ideas； conduct preliminary spatial design as well as project development and operation planning for the Key Plot (the plot on the west side of the entrance to Great Buddha Temple Scenic Area). The winner shall complete the planning of the Great Buddha Temple Scenic Area and the plot on the west side of the entrance to Great Buddha Temple Scenic Area, as well as the architectural design and landscape design of the plot on the west side of the entrance to Great Buddha Temple Scenic Area, deepen the preliminary technical drawings to professional designs, and cooperate in project approval.
IV. Qualification requirements
(1) The domestic applicant must also have grade A qualification for urban and rural planning formulation, grade A qualification for the construction industry (construction engineering) design (or grade A qualification for architectural design firms), and grade A qualification for special landscape engineering design.
(2) The country or region where the overseas applicant is registered shall have business dealings with People’s Republic of China (PRC), and the overseas applicant shall have an enterprise registration certificate issued by the competent department or relevant organization in the country or region where it is located. Designers should be the registered personnel of the design institutions to which they belong. The chief creators must be truly responsible for this project and participate in the entire process of this international competition, including but not limited to important nodes (including video conferences) such as project presentations, site surveys, mid-term reporting, results reporting, and review and Q&A. If during the course of this international competition, it is discovered that the chief designer is not the person submitted in the registration materials, the organizer has the right to disqualify him/her from participating in the competition. In order to ensure that the follow-up communication and technical specifications of the plan conform to the specifications, overseas applicants without subsidiaries or branches in China are required to form a consortium with domestic design institutions with corresponding qualifications.
(3) Consortium is accepted in this collection. The number of consortium members (including the leading unit) shall not exceed three. Each member of the consortium is required to sign a legally binding Consortium Agreement, specifying the leading unit, division of labor, and proportion of equity share. Each member of the consortium is not allowed to participate in this competition in its own name or act as a member in another consortium with other design teams.
(4) The qualification requirements for the planning and design institutions in Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, Macao Special Administrative Region and Taiwan shall refer to the qualification requirements for overseas design institutions.
2. Other requirements:
(1) It is preferred that the applicant has experience in comprehensive national 4A tourist attraction project since 2010.
(2) It is preferred that the applicant has experience in positioning planning of cultural tourism destination projects and comprehensive national tourist attractions.
V. Registration method and submission of registration documents
1. Registration method: Online registration, mail registration or on-site registration.
2. All applicants must scan the following QR code or click the link to fill in the relevant registration information before the registration deadline of 16:00 on December 10, 2023. After successful registration, you will receive the "Guidance Manual for the Production of Registration Documents", which will be sent by the agency by email. Please check it in time.
3. After successful registration, the applicants must submit the registration materials in paper form (either by mail or on site). The applicants shall submit the complete paper materials (either by mail or on site) before Beijing time 16:00 on December 10, 2023, and mark “the full name of the applicant - registration materials - “Conceptual Proposal and In-depth Design for the Plot on the West Side of the Entrance to Zhejiang Xinchang Great Buddha Temple Scenic Area” on the outer envelope.
4. This registration is subject to the receipt of paper registration materials, and late submission of registration materials will not be accepted.
Stage I: Registration. The registration is valid from the date of announcement to 16:00 on December 10, 2023. All paper registration materials must be delivered to the Organizer within the registration validity period (for mailings, the postmark on the date of mailing shall prevail).
Stage 2: Finalist review. The review board will issue a written finalist notice to the qualified finalists.
The review committee will firstly examine each applicant for compliance based on the “registration information”； in case the applicants that meet the “qualification requirements” are 5 or less, all of them are shortlisted, and in case the applicants that meet the “qualification requirements” are 5 or more, the review committee will comprehensively evaluate the qualification, the experience in similar projects, the comprehensive strength of the chief creators, the team members to be dispatched, corresponding performance and awards, and finally select five high-level institutions.
Stage III: Submission and evaluation of outcome documents. The shortlisted applicants shall submit the results within the specified time (about 50 calendar days), and the Organizer will organize the evaluation and determine the ranking of the applicants in the expert evaluation stage.
Stage IV: Finally, the Organizer will set up a result review committee, and the result review committee will determine the final winner according to the recommendation of the expert panel and comprehensive analysis.
VII. Fees and payment methods
The proposal results submitted by the shortlisted applicants shall meet the requirements of the design specification. If the results are effective after review by the review committee, the applicants ranking the first place and the second place will each receive a prize of 1.2 million yuan (tax included), and those ranking the third, fourth, and fifth places will receive a prize of 1 million yuan, 800,000 yuan, and 500,000 yuan (tax included) respectively. For the final winner that provides the follow-up in-depth design service and consultation, the design bonus is included in the service consultation contract and will not be paid separately.
1. All correspondence and documents involved in this collection shall be written in Chinese.
2. Taxes arising from the design fees received by the applicants and all costs incurred in the collection process shall be borne by the applicants.
3. The design achievements submitted shall remain original and shall not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party, otherwise the consequences arising therefrom shall be borne by the applicant, and the Organizer reserves the right to pursue and claim compensation.
IX. Contact information
1. Xinchang County Tourism Group Co., Ltd.
Address: F13 and F14, Jingxin Building, No. 111, Lijiang Road, Xinchang County, Zhejiang
Contact: Jia Meiwan
2. Zhejiang Chengtao Tendering Agent Co., Ltd.
Address: Room 1706, F17, West Building, Xiandai Zhiye Building, No. 42, Wenhui Road, Xiacheng District, Hangzhou
Contact: Xie Haining